Wednesday, April 13, 2016

Brotherly Love


Here is the story! Please let me know what you think! (My mom suggested writing a sequel from Ryan's POV, to make some things clearer.) I hope you enjoy!

*A/N: Taylorside Gospel Hall is a real place but the people aren't :) - although this is based on a true story.*

Fourteen-year old Jasmine Bryant grinned as she looked at the package, wrapped in heart-covered wrapping paper, left in her family’s church mailbox. I bet it’s for Janette, she thought, remembering the glances she’d seen Daniel Holmes giving her older sister, and the fact that today was Valentine’s Day. Picking it up, she read with surprise, “Happy Valentine, Jas!” in blocky letters.

Who could that be from? she wondered, trying to recognise the writing.
Kara, her little sister, came running up to her. “Who’s that from, Jas?”
Jas frowned. “I don’t know.”
“Maybe it’s from a secret admirer,” the seven year-old teased. “Dad’s waiting for you in the van. Come on!”
Tucking the package under her arm, Jasmine followed her sister to the door, still wondering who it could be from. Taylorside Gospel Hall, where the Bryants' attended, had several young people, but neither Jasmine's friends, nor the boys, who were either older or younger than Jasmine, were likely candidates.
“ ‘Bye, Jas!” a cheery masculine voice broke into her thoughts. Jasmine looked up to find Ryan Mitchell holding the door for her. Ryan was her best friend Hollie's older brother.
“Thanks. ‘Bye, Ryan!” Jasmine would have loved to stay and chat but it was hard to resist the iron grip on her arm that was her little sister.
“Kara, why are you in such a hurry?” Jas asked, running to keep up with Kara, who was now sprinting across the gravel parking lot toward the Bryants’ van.  “I wanted to talk with Ryan. I haven’t seen him since before the Mitchells went to Florida!”
“I need to get home to see Hazel and Hopey!”
Kara had received two Dutch rabbits for her birthday the last week and hated to leave them alone, even for a minute.
“You could have survived with not seeing them for two more minutes,” grumbled Jasmine as the girls climbed in the van where the rest of the family, minus Mrs. Bryant, waited. Her father was leaning out the window talking to their neighbour, Mr. Sherman, who was parked beside them. Only Janette, who was reading their church's newsletter, noticed the heart-shaped package Jasmine was holding and gave her an amused glance. She blushed and was about to protest that it was probably from one of her friends when Kara, who had attempted - and failed - at looking apologetic for dragging Jas away, mercifully interrupted, launching into a detailed explanation of the game she and her friends had played after meeting.
Jas tried to listen but found her thoughts kept straying to the mysterious package still tucked under her arm. Despite what she had told Janette, she doubted that either Hollie or Melissa had given it to her.
 Just then Mrs. Bryant got into the van. “Sorry that I kept you waiting,” she said. “I was talking with Annalise.”
“She invited us for supper on Wednesday.”
The girls were pleased. James and Annalise Mitchell had 3 children, around the same age as the Bryant girls.

  On Wednesday afternoon the Bryants drove to the Mitchells' farm, about a 15-minute drive. Mrs. Bryant greeted them at the door. “Come in! It seems like it's been so long since we had you over! Supper's almost ready, you can just sit down.”
 The families enjoyed a hearty meal of soup and buns. After supper the girls excused themselves, the younger ones to play, and Jasmine and Hollie to talk. Hollie motioned eagerly for Jasmine to follow her, leading the way upstairs to her room. Hollie collapsed on her bed, Jasmine following her example and falling into a bean bag chair.
 “So, how was your trip?”
“It was good.” Hollie filled Jasmine in on the details of their week-long trip to Florida before changing the subject.
“I noticed you holding a package on Sunday.” Hollie's voice was teasing.
Jasmine shrugged. “It was a box of chocolates,” she said nonchalantly.
“What kind?”
“Ferrero Rochers.”
“Aren't those your favourite kind?” Hollie pressed.
“Yeah,” Jasmine reluctantly admitted.
“Do you know who they're from?,” Hollie asked.
“No.” Jasmine conceded. “I don't know. It just said 'Happy Valentine, Jas!' on the wrapping.”
“Mhmhmm.”
Jasmine was certain Hollie knew more than she was telling. “Who do you think it was?” she challenged.
“How am I supposed to know?”
“How are you supposed to know what?” a new voice broke in. The girls sat up. Ryan had poked his head in the door.
“We're just discussing my myst-”
“Nothing that concerns you, Ryan.” Hollie cut Jas off. “Go away, will you? I'm sure Dad and Mr. Bryant would appreciate your expert advice on their checkers game.”
Ryan looked hurt. “Are you commenting on my supposed lack of knowledge of the game?”
“I  wouldn't think of it," Hollie replied airily.  
  “Now go away before I remind you of who won the last time we played.”
“Dummkopf.” Ryan's head disappeared from the doorway, his parting remark floating down the hall.
The girls ignored him.
“You guys are a riot. Why did you cut me off, Hollie?” Jasmine wanted to know.
“I didn't want him to know what we were discussing, because-”
“Because?”
“Because I'm pretty sure he's the one that gave you the package.” Hollie attempted to hide her grin as Jasmine almost fell off the bed.
“But...why?” Jasmine managed to ask. “Why do you think that and why would he do it?”
“Simple. I accidentally saw him wrap it one evening, and he likes you.”
Jasmine, turning red, threw a pillow at her friend. “You're crazy! He's sixteen! I bet Melissa did give me them, after all. Besides,” she giggled, “Ryan's too cheap. He would never do something like that.”
Hollie grinned. “You don't believe me? I have-” she pulled open a drawer- “Proof!” Dangling from her hand was a piece of wrapping paper identical to the kind Jasmine's chocolates had come in.
Just then Ryan poked his head through the door.
“Jas, your family is leav-” he broke off as he caught sight of the paper still suspended form Hollie's hand. “Hey! Where'd you get that?”
“Get what?” Hollie drawled as she shoved the paper under her pillow.                                                    “Never mind. Jasmine, your family is leaving now.” Ryan stalked away.
Jasmine turned to Hollie.
“Do you think Ryan's really angry about the wrapping paper?” she asked, concerned, as the girls headed downstairs.
Hollie shrugged. “Maybe. He shouldn't have stuck his head in here, anyways. He could have told you through the door.” She grinned. “He won't stay mad long.”
Jasmine wasn't convinced, but they had reached the living room.
The families said their goodbyes, Ryan not looking Jasmine in the eye.

Jasmine rolled over and stared into the dark. She had been on an emotional roller-coaster all evening. Now she was angry. Why did Ryan give them to me? And why did he not want me to know it was him? Now he's angry and he's acting like it's my fault. We were just fine as friends. Now everything's going to be so awkward. And people will notice and ask questions. Janette's already suspicious! she thought glumly. Rolling over once more, she fell asleep.

Jasmine was moody the next day, doing her schoolwork and chores, then retreating to the bedroom she shared with Kara. Janette had her own room. Texting Hollie, she learned that Ryan had overheard part of their conversation, and was  angry at Hollie for revealing his secret to Jasmine. Jasmine sighed.
"It's not your fault," she texted back. "I appreciate that you let me know. And why would Ryan give me something and not want me to know it was from him?"

"I guess you're right, but I still feel bad about it. You should see him, Jas. He looks hurt and angry."

Jasmine refused to feel guilty. "Well, think about how I feel. I get this anonymous Valentine's present, and then I find out its from my best friend's older brother!  I've always thought of him as my own older brother, not a boyfriend! -" Jasmine quickly sent the text, hearing her mother call her.

"Coming, Mom!" she yelled. Jasmine followed the voice to the kitchen, where her mother was preparing supper.
"Honey, if you're done your school, I need you to help me with supper. Will you scrape the carrots please?”
Jasmine complied, aware that her mother was probably about to interrogate her. She sighed. Elisabeth Bryant was extremely astute, and could notice when something was troubling her children. Jasmine appreciated the sentiment but found it irritating at times. Sure enough, her mother asked, "What's troubling you, Jasmine? You've been awfully quiet today."
Jasmine shrugged, hesitating. She really didn't want her mother to know who the package was from. She didn't know why, she just didn't want to tell her.
"Did you and Hollie have an argument?" her mother persisted.
Jasmine shook her head.
"Well then what's wrong, honey? This isn't like you to be so quiet."
Jasmine sighed. "I didn't sleep well last night."
Her mother resumed making supper and began talking about some new recipes she wanted to try, but Jas could tell her mother wasn't convinced. Nevertheless, Elisabeth didn't bring the matter up again until the next Sunday.

 Ryan approached her nervously. "Hi, Jasmine."
Jasmine pretended not to hear him. Turning her head, she swept by him, completely ignoring him. Hollie, who had observed this, ran to catch up with her.
"Jas! Why were you so rude to him?"
Jas turned to her best friend. "Because he insulted me, Hollie!" she snapped. He did something stupid, and then he blamed me for it! I have to go."
Jas immediately felt a twinge of guilt at the look her sharp words had put on Hollie's face.
"I'm sorry, Hollie. It's not your fault. I shouldn't have snapped at you. I'm just...my emotions are all over the place right now, but that's no excuse."
Hollie nodded."You're forgiven. But," she smiled mischievously, "I still think you should go apologise to Ryan."
Jas shook her head stubbornly. "No. He can apologise first."
"Fine. I have to go now. Bye."
Jas walked to their van and realised with a sinking feeling that her mother had seen everything. Elisabeth gave her a "We'll talk about this later" look.

Once home, Jas sat stewing in her bedroom, writing in her journal. She glanced up as her mother knocked and entered her room.
Elisabeth looked sad and concerned, not displeased, as she had in he van. She sat on the bed beside Jas.
"So what was that about?" she asked.
"Was what about?" Jas muttered, already knowing the answer.
"Why did you ignore Ryan? What's going on, Jasmine? You've been sullen and moody ever since Wednesday when we went to the Bryants'. "
Jasmine decided to tell her mother everything, beginning with the package she had received last Sunday. Elisabeth listened without interrupting, and cradled Jas when she burst into tears at the end.
"I'm sorry, Jasmine. I understand you're upset and angry right now.  But you know what? If you're angry at Ryan, then there's no room for joy in your life. Look how grouchy you've been the past week. You need to let go of all this anger and step back and look at the situation. Ryan gave you a Valentine's present, Hollie told you it was him, he got mad at you, and you got mad back at him! Think about how he feels! He puts his heart out there, and you and Hollie laughed at him."
"Well, think about how I feel. I get this anonymous Valentine's present, and then I find out its from my best friend's older brother!  I've always thought of him as my own older brother, not a boyfriend! " The words from her last text flashed through Jasmine's mind. With a start, she realised how they paralleled what her mother had been saying.
Jasmine smiled ruefully. "I guess I've just been focused on how I feel I haven't stopped to think about Ryan's side of it." She paused. "I guess I should apologise for being rude to him," she said slowly.
Her mother smiled back. "That's more like it." She rose, preparing leave the room.
"Mom?" Jasmine asked, uncertainly.
"Yes, honey?"
"Do you think...do you think that Ryan will forgive me?"
Her mother sighed and sat once more on the bed. "I'm sure he will, honey. He's not one to hold grudges. But whether he does or not, you'll just have to leave him with the Lord. You didn't do anything wrong, besides being rude to him today, so you just apologise and move on with your life. If he forgives you is something he's just going to have to decide."
"I...we were good friends. I hope he forgives me. "
Elisabeth enveloped her daughter in a hug. "Do you ant me to pray with you?"
Jasmine nodded. Her mother prayed, asking for courage for Jasmine to apologise to Ryan, and for courage and grace for Ryan, to forgive Jasmine.
Jasmine thanked her mother for talking and praying with her. Her anxiety about talking with Ryan was gone, and her emotions had calmed down. She thanked God for the "peace of God which passes all understanding."


That evening, after the Gospel meeting, Jasmine scanned the group of people, looking for Ryan. To her surprise, he was walking towards her, an unreadable expression on his face. She cleared her throat nervously as he reached her.
"Ryan-"
"Jasmine-"
She giggled as they began to talk at the same time.
"You first," offered Ryan.
"Well, um, I just wanted to apologise for the way I treated you this afternoon. I had no call to ignore you like that, even if I was angry at you."
He looked surprised. "I forgive you Jasmine. I don't blame you for being angry at me. Actually, I wanted to say sorry to you. I..." he shifted uncomfortably from one foot to the other. "I shouldn't have given you the chocolates. I'm sorry for making you uncomfortable. I, well, um, wanted to tell you I'm sorry for putting you in that position. Can we put this behind us, please?"
Jasmine nodded. "I forgive you, Ryan. We can have a fresh start to our friendship now. Buddies, as Janette would say. But," she added with a smirk, "I won't be offended if you give me more chocolate!" A sudden thought struck her. "One question: did you know that Ferrero Rochers are my favourite chocolate?"
He grinned. "I have your sister to thank for that. I asked Kara."
Jasmine was surprised. "I'm impressed that she didn't tell me. That girl normally can't keep a secret to save her life."
"I know," nodded Ryan wisely. "I told her I'd give her her own box if she wouldn't say anything to you! She agreed faster than you could say 'Ferrero Rochers'! "
They laughed together, each thanking the Lord for this new chance at the friendship they had almost ruined by refusing to humble themselves and forgive. And Ryan, while he still had feelings for Jas, was content to wait until Jas was ready for that next stage in their relationship.













7 comments:

  1. I love this story! And yes, a sequel would be SO much fun to read! :) Beautiful job, Lauren!!! :)
    What was the real life story that this one was based on?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for reading it, Blessing! I'm glad you enjoyed it. :)
      My sister's friend told me, it's based on her friend's experience. Basically, it was what happened here. :)

      Delete
  2. Wow, what a sweet story, Lauren!!! And you're writing is really good. :) Amazing job, girl!! *high five*
    I would love to see a sequel as well. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much! :)
      I'm working on it. It's coming...slowly. :D

      Delete
  3. Good job Lauren! I couldn't wait to read it...*smirk* ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, I loved reading this!! You did a great job! And yes, I want to read a sequel, too!! :D
    I found your blog through Faith's, and I'm so glad I did! :)

    jessaswhimsicalwritings.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jesseca! Thanks for reading!
      I've seen your blog too, I like your stories!
      :D

      Delete